Application now closed
We have reached the application deadline. Please keep checking our webpage for updated information. For questions regarding Student Government Day please contact Oscar Flores at (562) 806-7650 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Important Dates | Frequently Asked Questions | Dress Code
Application opens: March 1st
Application Deadline: March 8th
Student City Council Interviews: March 10th
Student Government Day: April 5th
Student Government Day Pictures:
Follow us on Instagram for special Student Government Day Coverage--students will be involved!
Frequently Asked Questions
- What's the purpose of Student Government Day? The program gives Bell Gardens high school seniors a firsthand understanding of city government. Students will have the opportunity to shadow individual city personnel or may be assigned to a group for a tour of a city department.
- How will I know which city staff person I will shadow? Applications were reviewed and Recreation Department staff assigned you to either a city position or group tour. Your name will appear on this website under PARTICIPANT LIST. Otherwise, you will find out who you are shadowing the day of the event.
- How long is the event? The event begins at 8:30am and will end at approximately 2:00pm.
- Where do I check-in the morning of the event? Check-in is at 7:15am in front of Bell Gardens High School (6119 Agra St.).
- How will I know which bus to board? Buses will pick up students in front of Bell Gardens High School on the event day. City staff will inform you as to which bus to board. You must board the same bus at the end of the day.
- Can I drive to the event? No. Transportation will be provided throughout the day. Attendance is taken as you board the bus, therefore we need all students to use our transportation.
- What should I bring? Program materials will be provided for you. You may bring a notebook and pen or pencil.
- Will food be provided at the event? Continental breakfast (juice, fruit, granola bars & water) will be provided at morning check-in. Lunch will be provided at the Bicycle Casino at approximately 12:00pm.
- Will I be able to hang out with my friend/s? We encourage you to network, meet new people and ask as many questions as possible. It is very likely that your friends will be assigned to a different area, but don't worry you can sit with your friends during the luncheon.
- Please be respectful to all our speakers by giving them your undivided attention (turn off your cell phones)
Student Government Day dress code is business casual. For your convenience we've included some samples of appropriate attire. We highly recommend that females wear flats instead of high heels - you will be walking quite a bit.
What not to wear:
- Revealing Clothes: Male or Female - Button your shirt to the top and ladies should be conscious of skirt length.
- Too Much Jewelry: Refrain from too much jewelry as it may become a distraction. Earrings and necklaces should be small and simple.
- Baggy Clothes: Wear clothes that are tailored to fit you appropriately.
- Hats: Hats are unprofessional so leave them at home.
- Denim: Also unprofessional attire for the workplace.
- iPods or Headphones: Leave these at home to allow you to focus on the program activities.
- Graphic T-Shirts: These can be very distracting and are inappropriate for the program.